Skip to main content
- Move back one character. Ctrl + b
- Move forward one character. Ctrl + f
- Delete current character. Ctrl + d
- Delete previous character. Backspace
- Undo. Ctrl + -
- Move to the start of line. Ctrl + a
- Move to the end of line. Ctrl + e
- Move forward a word. Alt + f (a word contains alphabets and digits, no symbols)
- Move backward a word. Alt + b
- Clear the screen. Ctrl + l
Cut and paste (‘Kill and yank’ for old schoolers)
- Cut from cursor to the end of line. Ctrl + k
- Cut from cursor to the end of word. Alt + d
- Cut from cursor to the start of word. Alt + Backspace
- Cut from cursor to previous whitespace. Ctrl + w
- Paste the last cut text. Ctrl + y
- Loop through and paste previously cut text. Alt + y (use it after Ctrl + y)
- Loop through and paste the last argument of previous commands. Alt + .
Search the command history
- Search as you type. Ctrl + r and type the search term; Repeat Ctrl + r to loop through results.
- Search the last remembered search term. Ctrl + r twice.
- End the search at current history entry. Ctrl + j
- Cancel the search and restore original line. Ctrl + g